PTPAC supports friends of physical therapy who are running for the U.S. Congress
PTPAC supports friends of physical therapy who are running for the U.S. Congress by way of disbursements to candidates' campaigns and to political or leadership committees that support the candidates' bids for election or reelection.
The factors we consider when making disbursements include but are not limited to the following:
- The candidate's support, position, and/or voting record on quality health care issues, including the role, recognition, representation, and reimbursement of physical therapists and physical therapist assistants; to include federal, state and local legislation, regulation, and policy actions.
- The candidate's relationship to an APTA member and/or APTA component, including APTA's Advocacy Network.
- Formal recommendation by an APTA member and/or component.
- For incumbent candidates: The candidate's leadership position, committee assignment, and incumbency, including their likelihood to hold a position in the future.
- The candidate's opponent, the opponent's record on these criteria, and the nature and strength of this opposition.
- The candidate's likelihood for successful election to federal office.
- The candidate's party affiliation (majority/minority).
- Bipartisan support of the major political parties.
PTPAC does not distribute an issue questionnaire to candidates; decisions are based on the criteria above. PTPAC welcomes potential candidates to meet with Michael Matlack, APTA director of congressional affairs, while in Washington, DC. To set up a meeting, please contact Michael Matlack at 703-706-3163 or firstname.lastname@example.org.